In an email to publisher at this domain with “Consultation Entry Exercises” in the subject line, send the five exercises below.
- In 30 words, describe your genre of writing.
- In 30 words, describe your reading audience. Include their age, life-style; if their living space is urban, sub-urban, small town, or rural.
For a project of a single title
- In 10 words, state the theme.
- In a total of 30 words, give thumbnail sketches of your protagonist, antagonist, and the two subordinate characters.
- In a total of 100 words, make a simple outline written as if it were a three act play.
For a project of several title entries (a novel series of three titles, for example)
- In 10 words, state your series’ theme.
- In a total of 50 words, give thumbnail sketches of your protagonist, antagonists, and two subordinate characters of each entry.
- In a total of 300 words, make a simple outline written as if it were a three act play spanning the series.
Three act play format:
- The world as we know it
- what is threatened
- The crisis
- what is lost
- The climax
- what is gained
If you have difficulty with this structure, or their terms, then consider that your project must have a beginning, a middle, and an end.
You may also wish to consult this alternative.